Monday, April 21, 2014

Easter Fun

 This Easter was unlike most Easters. I wasn't really in the mood to do a lot for it. I've been very homesick and holidays just make it worse. Leading up to it, we virtually did nothing to prepare or learn about it. The week before it was super busy between multiple tests at school and church responsibilities, so all of our celebrating was on Sunday.

We did fun Easter egg inspired nails:
 I know it looks like a lot of candy, but there are non edible items that are taking a lot of space in the bottom:

 I love Lindsey's face in this one:
 They each got some clothes:


 They seemed pretty happy with their loot:

If you know me, you know I love to do little girl hair. I was going to do something more elaborate for the holiday, but I opted to leave her hair down and more elegant. Here is the link for this embarrassingly easy hairdo. Seriously so easy and pretty. I curled the ends with a curling iron and they actually stayed pretty well. 
Here's my little cuties:




 After church we snapped some family pics:




 Because our week was so busy, we opted for our egg hunt after church:





 We invited our downstairs neighbor to come up and watch:










 They are mama birds sitting on their eggs:
 Our neighbor got the girls Easter baskets from him and they were very surprised and thrilled:




 I felt like I had to make a ham, but with 4 people, it doesn't seem worth it. We bought a 2 pound ham and didn't even finish half of it!
I'll never be able to make gravy like my mom, I still have lots of practicing to do! The meal turned out pretty good.
 Every year my family makes a bunny cake. I have never really made one, it's always been my mom and sisters. This year I decided to brave and try it on my own. Not perfect, but it was fun to make. The girls had free reign of the bow tie. I used this buttercream recipe and I highly recommend it.




All in all, it was a great day spent as a family. Even though I was missing my family and traditional Easter at home, I realized how much growth we make on our own. I'm doing so many things I would never do around family. Over the last two years I've made two complete Thanksgiving meals and now an Easter meal. Not to mention, the countless other things I've had to do and learn being away. I'm learning and growing, even if I fight it every time. I hope someday we are celebrating with family all the time, but until then, I'll get my share of experience. Happy Easter everyone!

2 comments:

Jen said...

Great post and pictures. I too hope you're back for good someday. You nailed it - "all these things shall give thee experience and shall be for thy good." You're a strong spirit, Jess. You've got loads of experience on me, and I'm 12 yrs older!

Jen said...

Oh, and baskets from the neighbor? So very sweet!